The regulations for pruning and removing trees in Gosford City Council can be confusing; When do you need to apply? When isn’t an application necessary? Do I need to provide an Arborist Report with my application?

To help out our customers, Everwilling Tree Specialists have put together this guide to applying for Tree Works in Gosford City Council area. Everwilling Tree Specialists are happy to help with identification of tree species, Arborist Reports and Tree Hazard Assessments. Contact us now for a free quote.

When do I need to fill in a Tree Works Application form?
In Gosford City Council area, you will need to fill in an application form if you want to prune or remove a tree that is over three metres in height, or if you want to prune or remove a tree that is more than three metres away from a Council approved building.

Council will not usually provide consent for the removal of a tree if the complaint is regarding leaf fall or view enhancement.

When don’t I need to fill in a Tree Works Application form?
You do not need Council consent to remove a dead tree, or to remove dead branches from a tree.

If branches are directly overhanging the roofline of a council approved building, or if you want to prune one metre around the lines that bring power from the street to your house, you do not need to fill in the Tree Works Application form.

If a tree is on Council land or in the street, you do not need to fill in a Tree Works Application form, but you must contact Council directly on 4325 8222.

If your tree is part of a current Development Application, you do not need to make a separate application for Tree Works. Your tree will be assessed as part of the Development Application process.

There are also several exempt species that do not need Council approval. These are Camphor Laurel, Coral Tree, Rubber Tree, Umbrella Tree, Cocos Palm, Willow Tree, Radiata Pine, Golden Cypress, and non-native fruit trees. Everwilling Tree Specialists can help with identifying the species of tree on your property.

In these situations, just call Everwilling Tree Specialists, and we can get straight to work for you. Get in contact with us now.

What trees can’t be removed or pruned?
You cannot prune or remove trees on land that you do not own or are not the delegated manager. For example, residents of retirement villages, villas and townhouses, or relocatable home parks require the Body Corporate or manager to apply.

However, you can apply to prune branches from a tree on a neighbour’s property if the branches are overhanging onto your property. It is preferable that you speak with your neighbours, and gain their approval before applying to Council.

If you wish to prune Mangroves, you will need to contact NSW Primary Industries Fisheries and Aquaculture.

What happens after I lodge my application?
Your tree will be assessed by Council’s Tree Assessment Officers, usually within ten working days of your application being received.

You will be notified by mail of the results of Council’s inspection. If your application is approved, Council’s Letter of Consent is valid for five years. The letter must be displayed at the front of the site while the work is being carried out.

If your application is refused, you may wish to appeal Council’s decision. This can be done in writing to the General Manger of Gosford City Council. The appeal should be supported by a detailed Arborist Report and/or Tree Hazard Evaluation. Everwilling Tree Specialists can assist with an Arborist Report and a Tree Hazard Evaluation, just get in contact with us now.

If you have any questions or need assistance, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Everwilling Tree Specialists here, and we’ll be happy to help.

For a Gosford City Council’s Tree Works Application form, click here.

Request Your Free Quote Today