Am I in the 10/50 fire zone?

10/50 vegetation clearing

If you live in an area close to the bush, you need to prepare your home. The 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme gives people living near the bush an additional way of being better prepared for bush fires. The scheme allows people in a designated area to:

  • Clear trees on their property within 10 metres of a home, without seeking approval; and
  • Clear underlying vegetation such as shrubs (but not trees) on their property within 50 metres of a home, without seeking approval.

You can find out if your property is in a 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Entitlement Area using our online tool. The 10/50 scheme is supported by the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Code of Practice.

Image showing the clearing of trees within 10 metres of a home and vegetation within 50 metres of a home

Important changes to the 10/50 scheme

Further changes have been announced to the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme. Legislative changes came into effect on 28 August 2015 and the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Code of Practice has now been amended and takes effect commencing 4 September 2015. You
must now consider how the following changes affect your clearing proposal:

  1. The definition of a tree has been amended to include multi-stemmed trees. This means you can no longer remove multi-stemmed trees beyond 10 metres.
  2. The distance at which a tree may be removed has been clarified. You may only remove a tree if any part of the trunk that measures more than 30 centimetres in circumference (around the trunk) at a height of 1.3 metres above the ground, is within 10
    metres of the external wall of the building.
  3. If you are using the distance from a building on your neighbours land to use the 10/50 entitlement (and your buildings are not within 10 metres or 50 metres respectively), you must receive their written consent. Where the tree or vegetation is within
    10 metres or 50 metres respectively of buildings on more than one adjoining parcel of land, you must receive written consent from each landowner who adjoins your land.
  4. Clearing adjacent to farm sheds is now permitted under the 10/50 scheme.

A range of other changes to the 10/50 scheme are now in place in accordance with the commencement of the amended 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Code of Practice. Please review the amended Code of Practice and FAQs below in relation to your proposed clearing.

Changes to areas covered by the rule

The 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme was introduced following the devastating 2013 bush fires in which more than 200 properties were destroyed. The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), in partnership with the Department of Planning and Environment and the
Office of Environment and Heritage, undertook a formal review of the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme. It is clear from some submissions and feedback that while the scheme is designed to reduce bush fire risk, there has been some abuse of the fuel reduction
provisions for other purposes. As a result of the review of the 10/50 scheme, the entitlement area has been amended. The reduced entitlement area of 100m from higher risk vegetation has been maintained, covering 85 per cent of properties historically
destroyed in a bush fire. The easiest way to work out if you’re covered by the eligible area is checking our online tool. The tool contains the latest information on areas covered by the rule.

What is the definition of a Tree as per the Wyong Shire Council?


The Central Coast is known and loved for our abundant, diverse bushland and natural environment. Trees and vegetation on private land form an integral part of the local atmosphere and their conservation contribute to the protection of our wildlife and
biodiversity here on the Central Coast.

A private tree is defined as any tree on land not under Council or other Government control or management. Council has a range of control measures designed to help protect our local environment and
outline requirements regarding private tree management. These should be considered prior to undertaking any activity to or around trees on your property.

Chapter 3.6: Preservation of Trees and Vegetation in Central Coast Council’s Development Control Plan 2013 (as applied to the Former Wyong LGA) has been amended as of the 8 March 2018 with some
key changes to tree pruning and removal for private land owners.

For full details review the full DCP 

Exempt tree works

The following activities can, in most cases, be carried out without seeking formal Council approval;

  1. Trees within three (3) metres of an approved building (measured one (1) metre above ground level and between the face of the wall and the part of the trunk nearest the building), providing the tree species is not a threatened species or listed on
    Council’s Significant Tree Register or Heritage Item.
  2. Tree species listed in Appendix 1: Undesirable Species & Appendix 2: Noxious Plants; in Chapter 3.6 of the Wyong DCP 2013.
  3. Branches directly overhanging the roofline of an approved building (in accordance with Australian Standard AS4373-2007).
  4. Branches within 1m around electricity and/or telecommunication wires.
  5. Trees identified in the Rural Fire Service 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme.
  6. Specified vegetation may only be cleared in accordance with the 10/50 rules as set out in the Code of Practice.
  7. Removal of dead and or dangerous trees due to obvious instability or hazard. Evidence must be kept for a minimum of six (6) months and made available to Council if required. Evidence such as photos of the tree in situ and report by a suitably qualified
    and experience person, or statement from State Emergency Services (if the service carried out the works).

If you are unsure as the whether your tree pruning or removal falls into one of the above, exempt, categories please consult Chapter 3.6: Preservation of Trees and Vegetation. If you still have questions after reviewing this documentation contact Council.


Tree Works Permit

A Tree Works Permit is applicable for all other private tree works on privately owned land not specified as exempt in Council’s DCP.

Tree works include ringbarking, cutting down, topping, lopping, pruning, removal, injuring or wilfully destroying
of tree(s).  A Tree Works Permit may only be applied for by the property owner by filling out a Tree works application form.

For further information relating to the assessment criteria, please refer to Council’s DCP Chapter 3.6.4.

Application costs

Tree Works Application cost for one to five trees is $103.00 (GST Inclusive) and for six or more trees $103.00 base rate per application plus $33.00 per tree more than five trees (GST Inclusive).

What if I just want to prune a tree?

No application to Council is required for the pruning or removal of undesirable species listed in Council’s DCP Chapter 3.6.4 in any zone unless the item is included in Schedule 5 of Council’s Local Environment Plan 2013.

What do I do if I want a tree removed that is within 6 metres of my house but not on my property?

If the tree is on a neighboring residential property, you will need to talk to your neighbor about the removing the tree and may be asked to share the costs.  Mediation is available at Community Justice Centres.  Council does not have the power to even request a resident to remove a tree on their property.
If you require additional information, phone Council’s Customer Contact Centre on
(02) 4350 5555.

Protected species

Before removing or pruning any vegetation, State and Federal Government legislation also needs to be considered by the landowner, including provisions to protect threatened species, and the legislation is listed in appendix A to Council’s
Development Control Plan (DCP). Council encourages the use of qualified technical experts to assist in the identification of trees, as well as consultation with the relevant legislation and Authorities when trees are proposed to be removed.  Tree species having conservation significance are listed here.

Council arborists are available to help identify trees for residents.  Download and fill out the Tree Identification Form and return to Council.

If you require additional information, phone Council’s Customer Contact Centre on (02) 4350 5555.

Yes , all of our staff a covered by workers compensation insurance.

Yes in the event of an accident and you property gets damaged our 20 million dollar public liability insurance will cover the repairs.

Garden and property
We at Everwilling will take the utter most care when working at your property we will do the best to reassure you the we will take care of your garden and property and once leaving the site as clean and as tidy as when we started.
The pricing of removing or pruning a tree main factors
  • Size of the tree
  • Species of tree
  • Location of tree, good access? front of property or rear
  • Does the tree over hanging powerlines or services
  • Will you consider keeping firewood as may make price cheaper

Request Your Free Quote Today